Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Bikini with Boy Short Bottoms


So if I am making the baby a bathing suit, why not one for mama?

Well, it is actually a bit harder than it looks. I think it would have been easier had I chosen a color of fabric other than white. With white, I was concerned about not only the cut, but making sure it was not see-through... probably not the best choice for a first pass.

So, to make this, I traced a bikini top I had and underwear that I liked the cut. I traced them onto white paper and then added a seam allowance. When sewing, I used two layers of fabric for each. On the inside of the bikini top, I attached the straps using a box stitch (like you'd attach straps to a bag). On the bottom, instead of using underwear elastic, I folded a piece of swimsuit fabric in half and stretched it to fit (like when making baby trainers or pants).

I am happy with it BUT it takes way too long to dry. It would be better to use a liner material of some sort instead of two layers of swimsuit material. Had I done this, the pineapple pattern wouldn't be showing through from the back to the front like it does now. Also, I made a casing for the bottom strap of the bikini after turning and topstitching. I ran into a bit of a problem with the curve bunching the fabric. If I'd do it again, I would lace the bottom strap through-- between the layers-- and topstitch to form a casing instead.
Posted by Picasa
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome!!!! I love it. You are really amazing. Who in the world has a homemade bathing suit? And sooooo sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed its debut at swim class Friday! I think it is a little see-through, but I am not quite sure. You will have to tell me this week! Glad you like it!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...