Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Vintage Pattern Review: Butterick 3505

Butterick's Vintage Pattern 3505 is for drop-flap footed toddler pajamas. When I found it online, I thought it might just be heaven. The idea that I could sleep our little guy warmly but still be able to get him to the bathroom in the middle of the night in a timely manner was very appealing.

The pattern arrived and I got going. I made a 2T, and it is HUGE on my 15-month old, who wears a 2T in a lot of clothes. Maybe sizing has changed over the years. I made it in flannel, thinking I had more flannel than fleece, and could make the fleece one later, after I got the kinks worked out of the pattern. I only had yard cuts of flannel, though, so I used two coordinating prints. I used another color for the soles of the feet. If I make this again, I will use a fabric called Jiffy Grip for the soles, which has gripping dots so help keep the little ones from slipping when they are walking. I used white 4-way stretch cotton for the wrists (the pattern called for rib knit, which I didn't have). It called for 4 buttons on each side of the drop-flap, and I used 2 snaps instead, thinking that would be enough work to take off and re-snap, and that eight would be a lot in the middle of the night.

It was pretty easy to put together. The directions were straightforward and clear. The pattern was marked nicely and the steps were logical. The only step I had trouble with was in measuring the ankle elastic. The directions said to measure the ankle and add on a specific amount for stretch and seams. BUT my issue was that by that point it was clear that this was going to fit at some future time, so I was going to have to estimate ankle circumference. I would have liked to have guidelines to go up and down from.

I am looking forward to using these pajamas. I don't think they are going to be my winter answer, though, since 4 snaps in the middle of the night is still a lot of snapping down then up while trying to disturb the little one's sleep as little as possible. I am considering using the idea but making them split-crotch instead of drop-flap. But then that brings me full-circle to what we use now: a long-sleeve shirt and fleece split-crotch pants.
Posted by Picasa
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...