Sunday, July 29, 2012

Empowering the Preschooler in the Kitchen

 
He had been begging for as long as I can remember.  He really wanted to use the knives.  No, not those blunt ones.  The big sharp ones.  The ones Mommy and Daddy use.

I sympathized with him.  It is harder to cut with a blunt knife.  But I still knew that knives are big and sharp, and they cut.  Heck, I have a scar on my hand from a paring knife incident in college.

But he is actually quite good with the little knives we had been giving him, and it seemed silly to wait any longer.  So I allowed him to use the "tomato" knife the other day.

That resulted in him wanting to cook Daddy a caprese salad.  He was so careful with the knife- I was so impressed.

Then he had to cut a grapefruit.  He kept commenting on what a good job he was doing, and I couldn't help but agree!  It is so much easier to do a job with the right tools.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...