Monday, January 6, 2014

DIY Lip Balm

We decided to spend a little time making some of our own cosmetics.  First up- lip balm.



We found two recipes and assembled our ingredients and the tins/ labels. I decided to use metal tins instead of plastic containers because I would be filling them hot and didn't want plastic residue in our lip balm. I used these tins, but these also look nice.

Here is the chocolate recipe.
Here is the peppermint recipe.


Turns out that both recipes called for beeswax, coconut oil, and peppermint oil.  The chocolate recipe also called for cocoa butter and cocoa powder.  The peppermint recipe also called for honey.


Both were easy to make, but I thought the chocolate was easier, only because the honey didn't end up melting all the way and clumped into a few of the containers.  I also should have halved the peppermint recipe.

They both go on nicely, but I like the feel of the chocolate one better.  The taste is actually a bit strong for me; I think that next time I will use the cocoa butter only and skip the cocoa powder.

 
Posted by Picasa
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...