I like to use my granny cart to go grocery shopping. We take turns rolling the cart to the store, put it in the grocery cart while shopping, then load it up at the checkout counter. The baby gets a ride on my back on the way home, and we roll the groceries behind us. The problem sometimes is that one bag crushes the other, and we often stuff items next to the bags on the inside-- and these things sometimes fall through the cracks onto the sidewalk. Not pretty (or efficient). Another issue is that when I tilt it to roll it home, stuff can fall out when it is really full. Again this slightly defeats the purpose of grocery shopping.
I thought I could improve on the process by making a bag to go on the inside, with a top and a place for my credit card, cell phone, and key.
The first step was to take measurements and add for the seam allowance. I ended up cutting (out of Bird Talk fabric):
1. Sides: 4 pieces of 15" x 19 1/2" from the outer and from the lining fabric
2. Bottom: one piece of 15" x 14" from the outer and from the lining fabric
3. Top: one piece of 15" x 18" from the outer and from the lining fabric
4. Straps: 5 pieces of 4" x 10" fabric
5. Tabs: 2 pieces of 4" x 3" rounded from the outer, inner, and interfacing
6. Interior Pocket Bottom: 2 pieces of 4" x 5" of coordinating fabric
7. Interior Pocket Flap: 2 pieces of 4" x 2 1/2" of coordinating fabric
Then I took my iron and ironed the straps in half, opened them, then folded them in half again, bringing the fold inside. I stitched up and down the edges to make them look finished.
I ironed the interfacing to the outer piece of the tabs, and put half of a snap inside before stitching them, right sides together. I clipped the corners and turned them right-side out, leaving the bottom open. I topstitched around the closed sides.
Then I made the bag itself. I make the outer and inner bags identically, by stitching all of the side pieces together, then attaching the bottom piece.
To make the interior pocket bottom, I stitched both the bottom pieces together, leaving an opening for turning. I clipped the corners and turned the pocket. I hand pressed it open (an iron would have been better here). I topstitched on the short side and added half of the snap to the top center. I added my label, then stitched around the other 3 sides, closing the turning hole as I passed it. You could make this any size you want-- I just chose this size by holding my phone, credit card, and keys to the fabric and choosing the size based on these items that I carry to the store.
To make the interior pocket flap, I stitched both the flap pieces together, leaving an opening for turning. I clipped the corners and turned the pocket. I hand pressed it open (an iron would have been better here). I topstitched on the 3 of the sides, closing the turning hole as I passed it. I added the other side of the snap to the center, and snapped it to the bottom piece. I should have added the piece before putting the sides together; this would have hidden the cap of the snap. I pinned the top into place based on making sure the snapped pocket would lie flat, and stitched the top of the flap to the material.
Then I attached the pocket into the lining. I attached it on the front side, but probaby should have done it to the back, since it rolls at an angle. When it is full, I can't reach the pocket and it is apt to empty its contents into the groceries. It also could have been good on the top. I am undecided as to the best place for this pocket, but I like having it.
To make the top, I stitched the pieces on three sides, fronts together. I had pinned the tabs on one side, making sure the outer color would be outside when it was turned, and making sure not to stitch over the tabs. I turned the top and topstitched on the three sides.
Next, I placed the bags into the cart. I pinned the straps onto the bag, one in the back, one on each handle, and two in front. I also pinned the tabs in place. I marked where the snaps would go, and added them to the outer piece. The straps on the handles snap to themselves, and the others all snap to the bag itself.
The last step was to topstitch around the whole bag, turning the top edge underneath to hide the edges. The straps and top were attached with this step. I added another label to the front.
After using it, I am happy with it overall. I can get more groceries (I brought home 3 watermelons this week, plus our regular fruit, veggies, and bread). All of the nooks and crannies can be filled up with food. A downside of this is that it can get HEAVY-- I rolled over my foot on a curb this week and dropped some grapes overboard. I LOVE the top flap, though. I would consider having it close the other way, though, since the cart rolls at an angle and it would halp keep everything in. The top is measured to extend over the top by a few inches, though, and this helped keep everything inside nicely.