As part of his Halloween costume, the bigger guy wanted a cape. So we made him one with his initial on one side...
A better idea probably would have been to make two of them, since they seem to want stuff at exactly the same time (instead of taking turns).
You can see I used a snap to close it, and reinforced the snap area with the same fabric with which I did the applique. I attached both the reinforcing fabric and letter fabric with a zig zag overstitching the edge. For the rest of the cape, I attached the pieced, right sides together, leaving a hole for turning, then topstitched it closed.
He likes it! Success!