I had originally meant to make a fabric basket. I found a few tutorials online and measured where I wanted it to go, and settled on this tutorial from the Stitchin' Chicken. It took a while to make the pattern the right size (for an 8" by 16" basket) and settle into making it before I realized I didn't have thick enough interfacing to make it stand up tall. I had thought a few runs with the iron would suffice, but was wrong.So I decided to make my basket into an expandable tote bag.
Since I had already closed the top, I made straps and attached them to the exterior of the fabric with a box stitch (had I intended to do this project, I would have hidden them inside the seam from the start). I also added a snap to the center.
I added a cell phone/ credit card pocket on the outside with a snap. Had I intended to do this project from the start, I would have added a zipper pocket into the lining, and put the cell pocket on the interior or exterior, and added a key fob. But I didn't want the stitching all over the place, so went simpler with the pockets on this bag.