Monday, May 9, 2011

Maternity Bathing Suit Bottom/ Bikram Shorts - Waistband Remodeling


So this is a pair of Athleta boy shorts' bathing suit bottom. I have had them for while, and they never quite fit right-- the waistband was too tight and the rise too long. Making them into maternity bottoms is the perfect fix.

To do this, I cut off the tight top piece of elastic (about 3/4" elastic). Then I chose a piece of lycra and measured it to fit the waistband without a stretch (knowing the shorts fit tightly enough to stay up on their own!). I cut this piece 5" wide.

Then I folded the additional piece in half, and matched raw edges with the material facing down and right sides together. I used a stretch stitch to attach it, then faux-serged the edges with a wide zig-zag off the edge. Then I folded it up and stitched two lines of straight stitching on the new material side to help it match the original shorts (they were done with all double-stitching).

Viola! I can wear these to swim... or for Bikram Maternity Shorts!

p.s. After trying these at Yoga, I am so excited about them.  It is so nice to have shorts that fit and don't need to be adjusted after every asana.  Maybe there is logic behind maternity clothes...
Posted by Picasa
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...