It took me a long time to find a bib pattern that fit and that I liked. We didn't even really have any that I liked enough to trace! I finally found this one (http://www.newconceptions.com/patpdf/bibspdf.pdf) and used style "A." I modified it to have flannel on the front and terry on the back. I used fold over elastic (FOE) to bind it and resin snaps to close it. You could use velcro, though, to keep it closed.
After a few tries, I got a little creative with some flannel scraps (and lace notions on the girl baby gift bib, right), and quilted them together before putting the whole thing together.
I am going to use this pattern a lot, and am looking forward to re-fashioning old worn-out clothing into bibs (especially the back of jeans!).