Monday, May 28, 2012

Pattern Review: Pea Pod Carrier

 I found this tutorial for a hip carrier called the Pea Pod Carrier.  It reminded me of the Scootababy which I use constantly.

It was really easy to follow along and sew.  My only complaint is that the difference between the left and right shoulder strap placement was so minimal, I may have missed it.



I quite like how easy it is to clip on and off, and the swivel key (or toy) clip is clever.   I added a cell phone pocket (detail in 3rd photo). I decided on its placement by putting on the carrier and imagining where I would like to reach for my phone!  I may have to add a snap to the pocket.

I also liked how her box stitching to hold the straps on for extra stability was through all the fabric layers instead of just the middle layer (like in the Scandi Mei Tais I have made).  It is not as pretty, but I think it is more stable.

In making it, I was surprised the bottom was not padded for comfort, but this made the sewing process go much quicker.  I am also slightly dubious that single-weight fabric can hold a baby up to 35 pounds, but I suppose that is how most pouch carriers are made.

Also, I was surprised that the waist piece was separate on both sides instead of  one continuous piece, through the carrier body ~ I had thought that was a requirement of sorts for Mei Tai style carriers for added security.  This does make it lighter, though.

 I used quilter's cotton on the outside and soft Minky on the inside, and the straps are made of old curtain bottoms.  I used medium-weight interfacing in the middle and an additional layer of it along the waistband.  The clips are 1" clips and the key fob is a swivel clip.


After putting it on and putting Baby inside, I think I prefer the Scootababy carrier. It feels OK, and stable, and I actually like the unpadded waist.  But the shoulder needed a bit of readjustment to keep it wide enough.  I also felt the weight of the baby more than I do with the other single-side carrier.  It was better after I tightened the shoulder strap, but still not a favorite.  I don't think this will be my go-to carrier, though it was fun to make.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...