Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Making NY Sour Dill Pickles at Home - Fermented Pickles



We were at the Farmer's Market a few weeks ago and I asked our favorite veggie vendor for cucumbers.  He said "pickling or regular?"  A taste memory went off in the primal part of my brain and I kept thinking about the NY Sour Dills my grandfather used to make.

"Pickling."  I said.  "Four pounds."


I went home and looked up his recipe, then looking in my Joy of Pickling book.  My copy of my grandfather's recipe seemed like the proportions were off -- they were likely transcribed wrong at some point - so I used the ones from my pickling Bible.


After calling my neighbor/ gardening buddy and establishing that neither of us grew dill this year, we had to make a trip to Whole Foods for the herb.

Materials in hand, my preschooler and I assembled pickles.


Here they are, ready to sit for 2-3 weeks.


Here they are after 3 weeks and after being taste tested.  They are delicious! 

 I have been eating them chopped up in my salads (butter lettuce, spinach, carrots, cucumber, radishes, pine nuts, dried cherries, diced pickles).  I have them to a friend to taste and she said the flavor was spot-on but they could use some refrigeration to make them crunchier and to give more of a bite to the initial skin break.  

They were also fun to watch change from cucumbers into pickles in the clear glass container we usually use to make Kombucha.  They also seem like a food everyone likes and is familiar with, so I can get tehe fermented goodness into my family!  I am definitely going to make these again.  

Posted by Picasa
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...