Monday, June 17, 2013

Recipe: Not Your Mama's Spinach Pie (It's Paleo Pie)

One of my favorite recipes of my mom's is her Spinach Pie (you can find it in the cookbook my brother and I wrote).  It is basically a pie crust with layers of spinach, cheddar cheese, and onion/ mushroom/ garlic.

In this, the Not-Yo-Mama's-Paleo-Pie version, I used a bacon wrap instead of the pie crust, added a meat layer, and kept the onion and cheese layers, and replaced my mom's frozen Stouffer's Spinach layer with a fresh wilted spinach layer.  I think she would have loved it.

Actually, I think the bacon wrap needs to be removed and the cheese should be made into a crust (the bacon was too hard to cut - this is why there aren't any finished photos- it got too messy).  I'd put the bacon on top instead of cheese as the top layer.



Layer 1: Bake cheddar and parmesan at 350 for 15 minutes until it resembles a crust.
Layer 2: Wilt a bunch of spinach (using broth, if you have it). Put half onto cheese crust.

Layer 3: Combine leftover chicken, cut into cubes, with random CSA box veggies like beets and turnips (left skillet, below).  Other meat would also be fine.
Layer 4: Sauteed onion, garlic, and mushrooms- half.  Add salt or other spices to this layer if you want more salt than the bacon provides.  My guess is that you won't want to add any.
Layer 5: Cheddar cheese, shredded.
Layer 6: Other half of wilted spinach.
Layer 7: Other half of sauteed onion, garlic, and mushrooms.
Layer 8 (top): Either lay strips of bacon on top, or cut them and put pieces, or skip the bacon and do another layer of cheddar.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

And let me know how it goes!!
Posted by Picasa
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...